Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st August 2006, 02:56 PM

Smile Agree Chrome Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince
downbylaw,

Punting is generally a very lonely business, which is why forums like this and others are a buzz of activity. I don't think darky is saying he doesn't enjoy it when he's betting and the races are on, I think he's saying that there are vast amounts of time where nothing happens, and of course, there is pressure.

I don't mind posting that I'm going through a very tough time at present with my main method, you have to be very tough psychologically and be able to withstand the enormous rollercoaster of performance. I enjoy the punt, but do not enjoy the fluctuations of ups and downs.

There is nothing more gratifying when you're right and it all falls into place, the challenge is withstanding when you are wrong. Not just the bank, but the psychological effect - especially if the downturn lasts a while.

I find myself breaking out the data to recheck, questioning my method from every angle, where did I go wrong, why is this happening, was this inevitable, will it continue, should I stop and reassess etc etc.

Of course, after spending countless hours, the conclusion is always the same, it's just a part of the overall result and I must persist, as if I now stop, I will cost myself money when things even out.

One can have a huge bank, a red hot method, but the challenge is more mental than anything else.

I had the same problem this year in the baseball. I was flying at 58% and looking to 60-65% for the year on previous years results, but it fell into a big hole slowly and ended up not betting on it at 55%. That still gave me a pto of 6.5% so im not complaining at all its just the previous years were over 10%. When i saw the plays losing i noticed 80% of my teams were getting more hits than the opposition. So something was wrong i thought, but not to be it was a rough patch and i went back to just halving my bets and only betting on the best bets that the system provided. Well since then ive striked at 70% and the yearly best won for the 5th year in a row. So all in all im happy but there are months where you think what is going on and yes i was a victum of this hence going through previous stats that took me 12-14 hours a day of study and working on the system. In the long run though the selections just had a rough time and I learned a lesson from it. Probably one thing to remember is that we are all always learning!!! Cheers Breadman
Old 21st August 2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEasyRun
And how you do not need a large betting bank to hold sway on $50,000 a year.

the only knowledge I talked about was the intimate knowledge of equations, and how they have no place in horse punting. Now..... $7 shots? good god man, you wont make a living at those odds........it must be over $7 to the dollar!

You will however have to accept it one day.

We all have different methods and approaches, granted. But when I see such puzzling and illogical statements, I have to disagree.

To make $50,000 per year on a $4,000 bank is impossible - fact.

Mathematics is the very foundation of punting. It's not about how many winners you pick, it's about the average odds compared to strike rate and the overlays that exist. No place? One day you will have to accept that it is one of the most critical factors in being successful at this game.

Over $7 to the dollar on a $4,000 bank to make 50,000 per year - geez you are optimistic. Perhaps a touch of reality might not go astray.

What do you suppose the longest run of outs might be over $7.00.

How much would you have to invest to make $50,000 per year.

The bank would never withstand it - mathematical fact.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/05/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 21st August 2006, 03:49 PM

Smile

G'day CP,

Post19,Your very perceptive view on the punting psyche was spot on.....!
It is not easy spending many mind-numbing hours studying form and implementing profit-making opportunities.
But then again....who said this was an easy way to riches........?
If the individual truly believes their method is worthwhile and will win in the longrun then it makes all the effort worthwhile.
My mentor was the incomparable Don Scott whose methods via his publications, were instilled in my attitude to betting/punting at a very young age.
These have put me in good stead although I have adapted my methods as racing has changed over the last couple of decades.
Two last insights that I will share with all.......
1)class always will tell in the longterm....!
2) flexibility is the key to your approach to investing. Sometimes, "overs" on the win or place provide opportunities....then on other occasions exotic betting provides sound profit-making opportunities.
The punter(s) must remain alert at all times!

Cheers.

Last edited by xanadu : 21st August 2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 21st August 2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Partypooper. Quite right, the mention of the average man equaling his wage and still keeping his job was a quick example to lead to quitting. And how you do not need a large betting bank to hold sway on $50,000 a year.

Filante. I did not mention uneducated people, nor $60,000. I only mentioned "needless" research, not any or all, and the only knowledge I talked about was the intimate knowledge of equations, and how they have no place in horse punting. Now..... $7 shots? good god man, you wont make a living at those odds........it must be over $7 to the dollar!

You dont have to buy it Chrome Prince as it's given away. You will however have to accept it one day.

Highly educated system boys are we?

Easy

1. You agreed with Chrome Prince's use of the word "uneducated".
2. You gave a figure of $5,000 a month profit = $60,000 per annum.
3. No research is ever needless - if an avenue of investigation leads you to the conclusion that something doesn't work, that is sometimes as useful as finding a winning method.
4. All racing analysis has at its heart a system or a matrix of systems. Statistics, systems and history give people a basis upon which to analyse form. A knowledge of mathematics, statistics, physics, econometric modelling etc. can form the basis upon which sytems are worked out - this cannot, as you suggest, be a disadvantage.
5. In the end, the making of a bet is an engagement in a debate of probability in which you believe the happening of an event is more likely than the odds suggest. If you have no education, training or research to give you an indication of that probability or if you do not have access to information compiled by someone who does, you will lose.

Enough from me. Your drivel has attracted more attention than was warranted.

Post some $7+ winners and I'll withdraw the drivel comment.

Cheers

Filante
Old 21st August 2006, 04:35 PM
Suspended.

Filante,

Your point 1.
I think easyrun meant intelligence was a vital ingredient to successful punting, not well educated [except in punting of course]. Some of the biggest dummies around are well educated.

Pittsburgh Phil only went through primary school, but he was obviously a very intelligent pro. punter.

Grollo the Italian [Grollo industries] was a pheasant who never got past grade 3 and if you look around, the world is full of very rich, intelligent but uneducated self made billionaires and our taxi's and restaurants have loads of well educated drivers, kitchen-hands and waiters who'll never be worth a bean:-))
Old 21st August 2006, 05:36 PM

Righto Chrome and Filante. Enough of your misquote's.
Read the following sentence below that I wrote in the original post again, then read the misquote's you both posted, and get a grip on the figures on which you are twisting around.

" Here is another fact, if the average man clears $30,000 a year in his regular employment, then to match that in punting earnings, he can start off with a bank as little as $4000. And still keep his job. Nirvana for the average bloke on the punt would be around $50,000 a year.....roughly $4000 to $5000 a month. A $6000 starting bank for that is plenty. "

The very reason you two can not smell the roses is that your both stuck in a void of numerical system punting that even with a massive turnover, simply does not produce enough profit for the average man to live on. They do not work. They cannot. Why will be explained in Part 3. And for cristsake do not misquote anything out of it.

What you call 'my drivel' is in reality race punting law.
Old 21st August 2006, 05:49 PM

Everyone has different theories and methods. There is not neccessarily one winning way. Could be thousands of different winning ways. Some of what you write is excellent but the smug self-righteous attitude is tiresome.

cheers
umrum
Old 21st August 2006, 05:54 PM

Im just glad to see some action here other than endless tips for a change.
Old 21st August 2006, 06:15 PM
Suspended.

Smile

I think their saying easyrun is, you could up a few tips in the $7 range and their attention might be a bit more sincere !
Old 21st August 2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Righto Chrome and Filante. Enough of your misquote's.
Read the following sentence below that I wrote in the original post again, then read the misquote's you both posted, and get a grip on the figures on which you are twisting around.

" Here is another fact, if the average man clears $30,000 a year in his regular employment, then to match that in punting earnings, he can start off with a bank as little as $4000. And still keep his job. Nirvana for the average bloke on the punt would be around $50,000 a year.....roughly $4000 to $5000 a month. A $6000 starting bank for that is plenty. "

The very reason you two can not smell the roses is that your both stuck in a void of numerical system punting that even with a massive turnover, simply does not produce enough profit for the average man to live on. They do not work. They cannot. Why will be explained in Part 3. And for cristsake do not misquote anything out of it.

What you call 'my drivel' is in reality race punting law.

The EasyRun,

I did not call what you wrote drivel, I just challenged the mathematics of it - it simply didn't add up. I can challenge what you've written without twisting what you said.

The very reason I cannot smell the roses is that I broke my nose in a car accident and lost 90% of the sense of smell - no other reason.

Rather than myself or Filante misquoting, it seems you are now backpeddling rather than explaining how it can be done and posting hard numbers.
The reason why is that the numbers just don't add up.

Don't get me wrong, much of what you have posted is excellent, the rest leaves a very large question mark.

I am often amused that others can make decisions on what sort of punter another person is, just by going on what they've posted on a forum.

Let me tell you that I am not just a system punter. There are many facets which make up my punting.

I use systems.
I handicap.
I follow horses that are on a watchlist.
I use other methods and lay horses as well.

I enjoy systems immensely, but that is nowhere near an accurate description of the overall picture. I believe there is a place for everything in this game, providing you can identify an edge.

Amazingly, most of my systems are actually based on sound handicapping principles - imagine that!

The common misconception seems to be that a system punter is one that relies on longshots or bets numbers or follows jockeys or trainers or similar, again, that is way off base.

There is no misquote at all - you stated that to match $30,000 per annum, all you need is a $4,000 bank.

It still doesn't add up how you word it.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/05/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg