Thread: Systems Fear
View Single Post
Old 29th February 2012, 06:06 PM

Yes I have been to a number of functions at Caulfield as well, like graduations etc.
In fact their facilities are excellent.
I think the problem lies all in the marketing.
Their marketing vision is quite confused and is not hitting the spot.

For example: the free day that Black Caviar had at Caulfield was well known amongst racing circles, some others knew of it, but they certainly didn't market it well enough nor capitalize enough on it.

I also think they need to separate the events audience from the racing audience.
At present they are attracting a majority of audiences that are binge drinking party animals who will be there until they have responsibilities and mortgages.
They are also not regular racegoers.

It seems they've given up on regular crowds and are looking to make the dough in one week a year with sponsorships and over priced entry and booze.

They forget that the binge goers will never go more than once a year and have it set in the back of their minds that going to the races is very expensive before they even have a bet, if they ever do.

I agree, get that generation into the venues for concerts, parties, weddings, other functions.
The whole racing concept is something entirely different.

But then again with all the anti gambling ads, and all the anti gambling warnings between every single race, is it any wonder people turn off.
Maybe it helps some people, but it destroys my enjoyment of the races.

A bit like going to the drag races and having a loud announcement ad of Speed Kills between every race for 30 seconds.
Or every lap of Bathurst.

Anyway, I think they need to market racing, ownership, apprenticeships, offer more on racedays. Allow marquees of stud farms, TAFE courses, syndications, etc etc.

Or pretty soon except for Carnival week, we will have Moonee Valley slots, like the USA.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/05/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg